HISTORY OF BOW BRICKHILL
Brickhill History Society
Mundy . The Bardens . The
The Cookes . War Memorial
. Old Photos . WWII
. de Havilland 108
. The School . The
Parish Council . A Village Choir
. 1889 Poster . Bow
information about the village, its people and its places, is sprinkled
throughout this web site. Here you will find links to documents
and photographs. Read how the village got its name here.
Other interesting historical facts can be found here.
Brickhill now falls within the unitary authority of Milton Keynes and
this site is partnered with the Milton Keynes Heritage Gateway project -
click here to reach the MK
Heritage web site.
Situated at the south east corner of the new city the village nestles into the
hillside, adjacent to large areas of woodland.
stand the three Brickhills, all in a row,
Great Brickhill, Little Brickhill,
and Brickhill with the Bow."
past thirty years the views from Church Road have changed beyond all
recognition as the new city, the last in a series of new towns,
developed from rural pastures into a tree-lined urban area.
civil parish boundary of Bow Brickhill traditionally followed the line of
Caldecotte Brook. It was redefined in April 2001 and now
stops at the railway line which divides the village from urban
Keynes was developed some of the land within the parish was
excavated to form Caldecotte Lake, seen here during early
excavations in the seventies.
excavations at the top of Bow Brickhill hill, at the site of earthworks
known by the name of Danesborough, indicate construction of a much
earlier period, a hill-fort dating back over 2000 years.
Street, an ancient Roman road,
passes nearby through the village of Little Brickhill and the Domesday
Survey of 1086 showed two manors in Bow Brickhill belonging to Walter
was inclosed in 1790 when the allotment of land was assigned to the
rector in lieu of tithes. Under the same act an area known as the Black
Ground was awarded to the parish "for use of the poor for
firing". In 1844 an Act of Parliament was passed to enable the
Rector, Churchwardens and Overseers - Trustees of this land - to sell
part of it.
There was a
great deal of discontent in the village such that the event was
commemorated in stone-work on April Cottage, Church Road, and the
Brickhill Healt was awarded to the Poor of this parish, 1793;
an Act of Parliament was obtained to sell it by the Trustees,
some exclamation marks and the names of the trustees.
Brickhill, Buckinghamshire - A Brief History of The Village and
compiled by Rev R Conyers Morrell, Ecclesiastical Patron -
published in 1834 (originally priced threepence), is now
available on disk as a scanned document in Word format.
This small booklet contains history of the area in general, the
railway and the village and contains several illustrations of
Bow Brickhill in the 1930s.
Please email for further
Some extracts of a first-hand account of Bow
Brickhill in the nineteenth century are in the extract from Henry
Mundy's manuscript. For details of how to purchase the book
visit the Munday pages. The Woodward
and Barden pages contain pictures of earlier
residents of the village.
An account of the Bow Brickhill Feast including a recipe for steamed
pudding can be found here.
Old photographs of buildings in the village (some that are no longer
there), sports teams and school photographs can be found in the Photo
Photographs of all inscriptions on the war memorial are here
and Ian Chambers' research into those listed on the memorial is available
are a Word document here
Lt Gerald Featherstone Knight MC escaped from Germany in WWI came
home only to die at the tragically young age of 25 from cancer.
Read the book that he wrote about his escape here.
Bletchley Park workers were billeted in Bow Brickhill during World War II - here
one of the girls tells about it.
When Bow Brickhill school celebrated its centenary in 1978 some extracts
from the school log were published and you can read these here.
They provide some insight into the special events which affected life in
Bow Brickhill including illnesses, national celebrations and seasonal
1994 saw the Parish Council celebrating its centenary and to mark this
occasion the council published extracts from the minutes over the
previous 100 years. Click
In 1950 a secret plane - a de Havilland 108 VW 120 crashed over
Little Brickhill scattering debris over Bow Brickhill and neighbouring
villages. Read more ..
There are two paintings
in the Victoria & Albert Museum relating to Bow Brickhill -
photoprints of each can be obtained from the V&A. Click
here for more details.
In March 2006 a drawing of the cottage and chapel, now demolished, which
once stood on Station Road was obtained and you can see an image of the